Level 8 Academic Reading
Short essay questions
On a separate sheet of paper, please write long paragraphs or short
essays (120 words or more each) in answer to the following questions.
1. How does living in Calamus impact each of the
major characters (Jesse, Wade, Lorna, Link)? Do you see any changes in
attitudes towards Calamus
as the novel progresses?
2. Go to this web site: <http://www.indians.org/welker/coyote.htm>
and choose one of the Coyote stories to read. Summarize the story in
about five sentences, and
compare the Coyote character in this story with Jesse. Please write the
title of the story you have chosen in your response.
3. Is Wade a different person than he was when the
story began? Can you explain some of his decisions towards the end of
4. How can you apply Darwin’s theory about "survival
of the fittest" to the various characters and events in Ricochet River?
5. Describe the author's writing style in this novel
and give some examples of the literary devices that he uses. Do you
think the first person
narrative is effective?
6. If you were going to write an ending to Ricochet River, how would you do
it? Give a one-paragraph outline of the ending you would prefer
for the novel.
Go to top