Computer Science

OIT transfer I OSU Transfer I PSU Transfer I UO Transfer

What major should I declare as a Computer Science Transfer Student?

Computer Science (CS)

PCC 2013-2014 Catalog: Computer Science

Computer Science Transfer Degree

The Computer Science transfer degree consists of the lower-division coursework of a four-year Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science.

Portland Community College does not offer an Associate of Science degree in Computer Science.

Portland Community College has transfer guides with the Computer Science departments at the following Oregon Universities:

Oregon Technology

Oregon State University

Portland State University

University of Oregon

Transfer students are responsible for contacting their transfer school for up-to-date information on the program they will be articulating into. You are strongly advised to work with an advisor at your transfer school while you complete your lower-division coursework at PCC.

PSU Transfer Students

Please note the following changes to PSU's admissions requirements to their computer science program:

1) Prospective students must apply for a Fall Term or Spring Term admissions. Students can not start in a Summer or Winter Term.

The deadline to apply to PSU's computer science program for Spring 2015 is February 1, 2015. At a minimum, you must have completed CS 161, CS 162, CS 201, CS 260, CS 261, CS 250, CS 251, MTH 252 and PHY 212 at the time you apply.

If you will be completing CS 261, CS 251, MTH 252 and/or PHY 212 in the Winter Term of 2015, you should apply by February 1st for admissions to their Spring Term 2015..

However, if you know you'll be completing these final courses in Spring 2015 or later, you should plan on applying for the Fall 2015 or Spring 2016 admissions.

2) After you have applied for admissions to PSU's computer science program, you will be required to take a proficiency exam based on what you have covered in CS 161, 162, 201 and 260.

For more information, please contact the PSU undergraduate computer science advisor, Barbara Sabath, at 503 725-4220 or

What major should I declare if I am pursuing a transfer degree in Computer Science?

Portland Community College does not offer an Associate's Degree in Computer Science; we are a transfer school only for this major. For that reason, you can not declare Computer Science as your major at PCC.

If you do not yet know what university you wish to transfer to, you should choose the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer degree.

If you know what university you wish to transfer to, you should choose the Associate of Science degree.

Who do I talk to if I have questions about this?

You can contact Michele Maxwell at

You can also contact the General Advising offices at any PCC Campus or Center - General Advisors primarily advise students on transfer degrees, so they would understand the differences between these degrees and help you choose the correct one.

For answers to Frequently Asked Questions, please visit our FAQ Page.

To make an appointment with an advisor, please contact Michele Maxwell

Back to Top